This page is currently being populated – check back on 25th November by which time it will be brought up to date

Some highlights from Petersfield Society's history

1960

Ashford Chace

  • County Council purchased approx. 185 acres of land at Ashford Chace
  • Purchase supported by Society with appeal for funds

One of the most wonderful things that the society has done
Sir Alan Lubbock (1897–1990), Chairman of Hampshire County Council (1955–1967)

1950's - Major issues include

  • No designation of the South Downs as a National Park
  • Hopeful that A.O.N.B designation may be forthcoming
  • Wheatham Hill and Ashford Chace – proposals to buy from timber merchants and present to the County Council
  • West Mark Camp detention centre proposals opposed

1950's

Campaign to ensure that original features are retained during rebuilding of East Meon bridges ends in successful agreement with HCC to use local flint with brick dressings.

1949

The Official Guide to Petersfield, first published in 1949

The Official Guide to Petersfield, first published in 1949[/caption]

Official Guide for Petersfield published

Listed Buildings of architectural and historic interest  submitted to Ministry of Town and Country Planning after 3-year project.

21 July 1945

First general meeting of the Petersfield Society

14 Sept 1944

Edward Barnsley, Flora Twort and others meet to form a committee.