Working with the community to conserve and enhance the special character of Petersfield and surrounding villages since 1945
Petersfield Society is a charity led by volunteers working with the community to conserve and enhance the special character of this historic market town and surrounding villages, to ensure it remains an attractive, enjoyable and distinctive place in which to live, work and visit.
We are a member of Civic Voice, the national charity representing hundreds of local civic and amenity societies in communities across England.
Our aims are to:
- Provide a voice for the community on local development and environmental issues;
- Protect and improve the quality of life in Petersfield and the surrounding countryside;
- Encourage the protection of buildings of architectural or historical interest;
- Encourage the maintenance and enhancement of the natural environment;
- Influence future planning and design for the town and surrounding villages;
- Participate in the development of local and district policies relating to townscape, landscape, traffic and the countryside;
- Support local enhancement projects and foster a sense of community pride;
- Campaign for or against any issues which affect the locality.
SUPPORT PETERSFIELD SHOPS
You only have to walk through town to see how our retailers are suffering; increasing numbers of shops standing empty.
If we want our town to be full of interesting and vibrant shops we need to support them, especially at what is the most important time of year for many as we run up to Christmas.
With Lockdown once again upon us it would be all to easy to jump onto a well-know website to order Christmas presents, or even everyday items, but please consider what sort of town you want in the future, and where possible support local traders, either in the shops or online.
OUR WORKING GROUPS
Because there are so many aspects of local life we could get involved in, and because each of our members, and indeed Trustees, has their own area of interest, Petersfield Society is structured into four working groups. that are briefly outlined below.
The town and surrounding villages continue to grow. We encourage great design whilst discouraging that which detracts from the unique local character.
The Society uses a variety of means through which to engage with both its membership and the wider community, including Community Forum events to encourage conversation.
“I would like to take this opportuity to thank our Trustees and volunteers for their endless enthusiasm and goodwill towards the various projects the Society undertakes. Without thess individuals we simply wouldn’t be able to cover the bredth of activities we do.
Please take a look at our achievenments and Timeline of activities to see some of the impact we have had on the local environment over the years.
HAVE YOUR VOICE HEARD
Join Petersfield Society to make a difference